Wednesday, July 30, 2008
There is a bill called the Breast Cancer Patient Protection. This bill will require that insurance companies cover a minimum of 48-hour hospital stay for patients undertaking this surgery.
You can show your support for this bill by going to the Lifetime Television website and sign a petition to urge Congress to continue to take steps to pass this bill. This bill is 12 years too late. But for the nearly 200,000 women who will face breast cancer this year, it is about time. Please click on this link to have your voice heard.
Tuesday, July 29, 2008
The Summer is coming to an end soon and many parents of college students, especially female students, are concerned about the safety of their daughters on campus.
At WomenOnGuard.com, we know that a female attending college is 4 times more likely to get sexually assaulted, when compared to other women in our society. For this reason, we put together a special offer called, "College Essentials Package". This package includes the powerful 975,000 volts Hot Shot stun gun. This particular stun gun is not only powerful but conveniently small and can fit in the palm of a woman's hand. Along with the stun gun, we included the Pepper Pen, which is a pepper spray conveniently disguised as a pen for an element of surprise. The package also includes a Lipstick Pepper Spray. This product appears like an ordinary lipstick or perfume container, but again, it really is a pepper spray for self defense. To complete the package, a Defensive Sprays Handbook is included. It contains helpful information on the usage of defensive sprays and the proper way to use them against attackers. This package will save you OVER 18% if you compare it to the total price of all the products purchased separately.
Monday, July 28, 2008
To read more about your privacy, and view a more clear chart, click here.
Wednesday, July 23, 2008
When I was a teenager and started hanging out with my girl friends at malls, movie theaters, etc., it dawned on all of us that we each needed to have some sort of weapon to protect ourselves.
Back then, I did not know about pepper spray. I was very naive and sheltered by my parents. In the 70's there were no personal computers or Internet, where you can surf and find self defense products. I can't recall who was the genius who mentioned it first or had the brainstorm, but somehow the idea came up for us to use a water pistol and fill it with ammonia! Well, that was the best thing I had ever heard of! What a great idea!
I didn't waste any time, I went to a store that had toys and purchased an orange water pistol. My mother always had ammonia for cleaning the bathrooms, so I poured some of it in the water pistol. I made sure that it would not leak and put it inside my favorite purse. I checked it a few hours later to see if the purse stunk like ammonia, and fortunately it didn't at all.
Well, that was the beginning of my obsession with self defense products! Now that I think more carefully about that great idea, it really was more dangerous than we thought. We really did not know the amount of damage that ammonia could actually cause if you get it in your eyes. It could cause permanent damage! I'm glad neither one of us had to use our ammonia pistols, or we could have been hit with a large law suit!
Later as a working adult, I had to use the subway to go to and from work. I felt I needed to actually purchase a product that was reliable and safe. By this time there was an Internet and I purchased my first Stun Gun from the Internet. Right away I felt safe, especially in the winter months around 6 PM, when I got off the train and had to walk to my car, parked in a huge parking lot, around the train station. I lived in the suburbs, so I had to drive from the station to my house and those walks to my car were very scary at night. My stun gun went anywhere I went and I particularly liked the fact that I could walk with my dog through hiking trails in a nearby park and not worry about getting attacked.
Last year, I heard that there was even a better product on the market and that it was designed with women in mind. In my pursuit to get the latest and greatest out there, as far as self defense products, I purchased what for me, has been the ultimate self defense weapon; the Taser C2. This baby is perfect. I can electrically shock an attacker as far as 15 feet away! This Taser is small, has a LED light to see in the dark and a laser so I don't miss a shot. It also doubles as a stun gun, in case I shock an attacker and another person comes towards me. I never in my wildest dreams, thought I could have a self defense product such as the Taser C2. The good thing about it too, is that the Taser C2 is non lethal and does not cause any permanent damage, unlike my first weapon, the Ammonia Pistol!
Tuesday, July 22, 2008
An apartment complex is like a small town where you have your friends, people whose faces just look familiar and some people that are complete strangers. There are places in the complex where you are more likely to gather with others. Some of these areas are; the office for the apartments, the club house, the laundry room, the pool/tennis courts area, the mailboxes section and the trash dumping area. Below is a breakdown of the different locations and the precautions you might consider:
This is usually the safest place of the complex because there usually is more than one person present. It is where some checks are dropped off by renters or someone is complaining about their kitchen sink, etc. You still need to keep your guard up, in case someone for some reason gets angry, but usually the anger is targeted toward the office employee.
This area is one of the most dangerous and you should always keep your guard up! Criminals keep a close eye on mailbox sections of an apartment complex. Why? Because people are pretty predictable as to when they check their mail. Attackers like the fact that if they observe you for a few days, they can pretty much predict when you are going to check your mailbox. Usually people go to this section when they drive home from work. When you approach your mailbox, look around you. If there are a few people present, it is safer, but if you are the only one there, please be very cautious, especially at night. Always prepare your self defense product and have it in your hand and prepared to be used, prior to approaching the mailbox area.
Club House Area
Some complexes have club houses to rent them out for parties, but others have indoor recreational things such as pool and ping pong tables, pin ball machines, video games etc. Club houses can be very popular, especially on the weekends and in the evenings. Many times you will encounter people who are drinking alcoholic beverages that they brought from their apartment. It is always wise to go to club houses with a friend. Once in a while you will encounter a sore looser at a card game, for example, that can become violent and take it out on whomever is nearby. If you meet a new person, be careful on giving out your apartment number. Be aware also if someone is following you back to your apartment. If you are in fear of being followed, go to a friend's apartment, if you know they are home.
Tennis Court or Pool Area
The tennis court is pretty safe because you usually are accompanied by a tennis partner. The pool area is also pretty safe since it is very open and everyone is in plain site. Even when you are alone, an attacker will avoid an area that many people can see easily. Just make sure that when you leave the pool area, you prepare your self defense product ahead of time, prior to walking back to your apartment. This is important, because, since you are in plain site, that also means that a potential attacker or stalker could have also been looking at you. Keep in mind, that if you are going to the pool on a regular basis, try to go at different times of the day. This will make your schedule less predictable. If you are alone, try NOT to go at night.
Laundry Room Area
Here is another section of an apartment complex that is very dangerous. For one, it is noisy because of the machines. This noise can easily cover up someones scream or cry for help. For some reason, people feel they need to chat with whomever else is doing laundry. This can be a great tool for an assailant to get more information from you that you shouldn't have given to him in the first place! Be careful what you tell a complete stranger. Even if he is the cutest guy, and my, so meticulous with his neatly folded laundry! Impressive right? NO! Potential attackers play a caring role to make you feel comfortable and therefore letting your guard down. Again in this situation make sure you have a self defense product readily available.
Trash Dump Area
This area is of much concern because most people dump their trash at night, after dinner. If you don't want to wait until morning, please be very careful about this. If your trash dump area is dark, ask the apartment complex manager to install some kind of lighting around it. This may prove to be difficult but it is worth a try. You might want to consider asking a few female friends, that live there, to join in your request. Always take your self defense product with you and prepare it to be used. Always move cautiously toward the site and look around carefully as you approach. If you see someone that you do not recognize near it, maybe leaning against their car or smoking... Just turn around and go back home. You can always try later. It is better to be cautious than hurt or killed. If your trash is heavy, just set it down somewhere temporarily, where you can pick it up later.
If you want to include more helpful tips, please add your comment on this post!
Monday, July 21, 2008
July 20, 2008
A woman suspected of cutting open a pregnant woman's uterus and stealing the baby has been charged with homicide, unlawful restraint and kidnapping, police said Sunday.
Johnson's body was found Friday in Curry-Demus's apartment. The body was positively identified through dental records, Allegheny County Medical Examiner Karl Williams said Sunday.
To read more click on Headline above.
Saturday, July 19, 2008
Indian Beach, NC July 19, 2008. WomenOnGuard.com donates products to a different sexual assault women’s crisis center around the country on a monthly basis. WomenOnGuard.com is an e-commerce website that sells non lethal, self defense products such as Mace, pepper spray, stun guns, Taser products, personal alarms and home protection products. This website includes hotlines, safety tips, helpful links and a Blog.
WOAR was started in 1973 in Philadelphia. The Center helps rape survivors by working together with the police, hospitals and courts. WOAR’s professional staff and committed volunteers provide comprehensive sexual assault counseling and advocacy services, and community and professional training.
WomenOnGuard.com starting donating pepper spray to women’s crisis centers in October 2007. From its inception in October 2006, co-founders, Susan Eaton and Martha Z. Martinez, vowed to help women stay safe. They take into consideration that some cities have restrictions against some of the products they sell, but try to target different sections of the country and usually pick cities were crime against women is more prevalent. Many of the women’s crisis centers that receive their donations, offer self defense courses. These courses are usually taught at the centers by a local police officer. The donated pepper sprays are handed out during these courses to participants in the classes. Other centers hand them out to victims of assault that feel they need extra protection.
Susan Eaton, Co-Owner of WomenOnGuard.com stated that the website chose Philadelphia for their donation recipient of the month because of escalating violence in this city. She mentioned that one of the city’s most popular on stage plays is called, “Kila ‘Delphia, Who’s Next? Why?” It was produced because of all the crime in the city. She goes on to say that, “Recently, a woman was attacked by 3 men while she was making a deposit at her bank’s teller machine. The men actually followed her in their car and knew about her plans to make a deposit. This was a strategically planned attack and robbery and the men got away with close to $65,000.” Susan mentioned that Philadelphia police put out a sketch just last week of an attacker that broke into a woman’s house and sexually assaulted her at knifepoint. These are only a few of the crimes occurring in this city and similar crimes are occurring all the time in other cities as well. WomenOnGuard.com also wants the public to be aware that rapists mostly target women, but that there are also some men who become victims as well.
For a list of all the women’s crisis centers, WomenOnGuard.com has donated products to, visit their website and click on the “Blog/Video Demos” link on their home page.
Friday, July 18, 2008
More and more cities are starting to feel the presence of bicycles on the road. With gasoline prices rising every day, Americans are taking down their bicycles that have been hanging in their garage and using them as a transportation device instead of just a means of exercise or a toy.
With the increase of bicycles on the roads, there also has been an increase in problems. Road signs and lights are being ignored and people are becoming impatient. Buses, trains and subways are getting crowded by bikers as their bikes take up additional space from other passengers who commute.
Safety is one of the most concerning issues due to the increase of accidents as a result of more bicycles on the roads. Most motor vehicle drivers simply don't know how to drive when a bicycle is on the same road with them. They can't see them as well because bikers are not wearing bright clothes, reflectors or blinking lights. It is very difficult for someone who is driving a car to see them. They are smaller than the rest of the cars and sometimes blend in with other objects on the roadside. Some bikers are riding recklessly and not obeying traffic laws. There are also pot holes in the roads that need to be fixed, and most roads do not have bicycle lanes. Some car drivers have actually bullied bikers off the road and have been caught doing so. Both car drivers and bike riders are having a hard time adjusting. It is inconvenient for car drivers and a huge change for bikers.
Government officials appear to be looking into these situations and they expect the trend of biking to increase. They are stating that it will be an increasing way of life for many Americans and that our cities are going to have to adjust accordingly. They know it is not just a trend, but a new approach to transportation that is here to stay and it will increase. Cities are going to have to adjust to this new transportation method and build structures and implement laws accordingly. Subway trains might have to have more bike racks or whole train cars might have to be used just for passengers with bicycles. All roads are going to be required to have bike lanes and all traffic violators will be ticketed.
With all of these changes and adjustments, there is actually something positive. Americans will be healthier due to all the extra exercise and the environment will be less polluted. High gasoline prices might actually be our salvation!
Thursday, July 17, 2008
It was brought to our attention recently that people don't only need personal alarms to prevent crimes. One particular gentleman purchased several personal alarms for his nursing home. Apparently these alarms are very handy for people that have physical limitations. Patients in his nursing home were each given a personal alarm to be used in case of an emergency. There are advantages to carrying a personal alarm if you are disabled.
Personal alarms are not only convenient indoors, but outside as well. I recall one time when I witnessed a man fall out of his wheelchair in a parking lot. He was trying to go up the ramp of his van and the wheelchair turned in the wrong direction and slid back down the ramp, the wheelchair fell right on top of him, pinning him underneath it. This is one of those situations where if he had carried a personal alarm, we would have been able to assist him sooner, instead of him just lying there helpless until we noticed that he was in trouble.
Of course a personal alarm comes in handy when you are being victimized by a mugger or other criminal. The loud sound projected by personal alarms, bring attention to any sort of situation you might encounter. Personal alarms come in all shapes and sizes. Some alarms have a flashlight included, some have keychains attached to them and some even can be used as door alarms in your home.
Wednesday, July 16, 2008
"The search for our Nancy is over," said Cary Police Chief Pat Bazemore. "Early today the state medical examiner told us that it was Nancy who was found last night just miles from her home."
Cooper's body was found on the bank of a storm water retention pond by a local Cary, N.C., man who was walking his dog at 7:30 p.m. Monday, according to authorities.
Tuesday, July 15, 2008
There are various types and sizes of pepper spray on the market today, but one stands out above the crowd. The Guardian Angel by Kimber is one of the best pepper spray products available today.
The Guardian Angel is small, lightweight and ergonomic, it carries easily in your pocket or purse, and has an integral clip that also secures it to a belt. You can even get a Guardian Angel holster that is sold separately.
The outer body conforms to either a right or left-hand grip, it fits almost any size hand and is easy to use.
The Guardian Angel contains two cylinders with powerful concentrations of near pharmaceutical grade OC (oleoresin capsicum), a devastatingly effective inflammatory agent to take your assailant down!
Driven by pyrotechnic charges, the solution travels at 90 MPH with little chance of cross contamination, and with enough energy to wrap around glasses or penetrate a facemask. The effect is immediate and lasts for up to 45 minutes.
Unlike conventional sprays, the Guardian Angel does not lose pressure over time. Conventional pepper spray usually expires within 2 years.
Guardian Angel Features:
• Instantly incapacitates an assailant.
• Revolutionary propulsion operation, reaching target in one tenth of a second.
• Jet delivery minimizes cross-contamination.
• Delivers two powerful blasts of OC.
The Guardian Angel is effective at distances of up to 13 feet. At 90 MPH, the charge travels too fast for an aggressor to avoid it.
Below you can read and compare the Guardian Angel vs. Conventional pepper spray.
• Guardian Angel range is 13 feet, pepper spray averages approximately 8 feet.
• Guardian Angel can be shot at any angle, pepper spray can only be held upright when shot.
• Guardian Angel does not need shaking before shooting, pepper spray needs shaking to mix ingredients.
• Guardian Angel has ergonomic shape, pepper spray is awkward to hold, especially under stressful situations.
• Guardian Angel is shot powerfully by a jet protection technology, pepper spray is launched by aerosol, hairspray technology, developed in the 1950's.
• Guardian Angel reaches it's target in fractions of a second, pepper spray's stream can be dodged by assailants.
• Guardian Angel's ballistic energy eliminates the danger of cross-contamination to user, pepper spray can blow back to your face if there is any wind.
• Guardian Angel's contents are not under pressure and can operate in cold temperatures, pepper spray loses pressure in cold weather resulting in a weaker spray.
• Guardian Angel's contents are not under pressure and can operate in hot temperatures, pepper spray increases it's pressure in cold weather and can result in a canister explosion.
Monday, July 14, 2008
Here we go again! This time, a female soldier is missing after a fire in her apartment near Fort Bragg. The NC military seems to be getting a track record on female soldiers being killed or disappearing. To refresh your memory, a pregnant soldier was killed and buried in her ex boyfriend's backyard late last year. About a month ago, a female soldier was found dead in her motel bathtub and she was also pregnant. Now a female soldier is missing and her apartment was set on fire. I wonder if she was also pregnant...
Police Captain David Houp, informed the public that there is no connection between this and the previous women. I beg to differ, I think it is too early for him to tell if the last victim found in her bathtub was not connected somehow with this most recent occurrence. I believe that the military authorities need to be investigated and questioned about these crimes a little more carefully.
Friday, July 11, 2008
People are getting desperate for gasoline! A couple in Florida called in a radio station, Dixon & Willoughby, that was willing to give a listener a $100 gas card if they would volunteer what they would be willing to do, to get the $100. David Partin, a listener who's wife is pregnant, called in and said he would be willing to name his future son, the radio station's name. Mr. Partin and his wife won the $100 gas card and are going to name their son; Dixon Willoughby Partin. The radio station agreed that they could drop the "&" in their future son's name.
Wednesday, July 9, 2008
- One of the best protections for your house or apartment during your absence is to have a house sitter. A friend you trust staying at your house can take care of your pets and/or plants in addition to making sure the house is inhabited.
- Have a neighbor check on your apartment while you're away -- turning on lights, radios or TVs and opening and closing curtains will give your apartment the appearance of someone home.
- If you don't have a friend or neighbor to house siter or check your apartment while you're away -- perhaps even if you do -- you should keep not only lights but also a TV or radio on a timer. If you're like me and have your TV on almost all the time you're home [NOTE: I don't watch it, it's just background noise.], the absence of the sound and that glowing light in the windows announces that you're not there.
- Make sure whoever is checking your apartment while you're away knows how to work your alarm system and who to call in case of a problem.
- Unless you have a house sitter, stop your mail and any newspaper or other delivery. Nothing announces an empty apartment better than a stack of newspapers or an overflowing mailbox. Ask a nearby neighbor to pick up any packages delivered while you're gone.
- If you have a garden or plants on your balcony, make sure someone is watering the plants regularly or put the plants where they can't be seen. Plants slowly dying due to lack of water may announce your absence.
- Check your lease. Many landlords require that you notify them if your apartment is going to be left empty for any period of time (this is so they can enter in case of emergency even if they can't reach you). If you've got a house sitter this isn't necessary.
- Before taking off on your vacation, don't forget to pack your self defense products such as Mace, pepper spray, a stun gun, personal alarms or a Taser.
Monday, July 7, 2008
On the Bus
- Use a bus stop you know is usually busy and is well lit
- Know the departure and arrival times and try and let someone at the other end know which bus you plan to catch. They could always meet you at your stop
- Sit close to the driver. If someone starts up a conversation, be pleasant and confident, but don't give away personal information like where you live or work
- Wait on a well-lit section of the platform, close to the exit or where there are other people around. Many stations now have CCTV cameras and staff that are trained to deal with emergencies
- When you get on the train try to sit in a busy compartment and keep any bags and personal possessions you have next to you
- If you feel uncomfortable switch seats or even consider getting off the train and catching the next one. Only do this if the station where you are getting off is manned and busy
- Know where the emergency button or cord is situated or any help points at the station
- Carry the phone number of a taxi or mini cab firm you know, and whenever you book a taxi ask them for the driver's name and the type of car they will be driving
- Try and book the taxi you need to bring you home before you go out. Give your name and when the driver arrives make sure they know the name it was booked under. If you have to book your taxi in a public place, do it quietly where people are unlikely to overhear your name and address
- If you can, share a taxi with a friend and have your money ready and keys handy at the end of your journey so that you can enter your home quickly
- If ever you feel uneasy in a taxi ask the driver to stop in a busy place that you know well, and get out
Tuesday, July 1, 2008
Voice changers can transform a female voice into a male voice or a different voice. An old person can sound like a child, etc. The Telephone Voice Changer 2 has 8 different settings you can utilize to disguise your voice. Just press a button and your voice will sound different to the caller. This can be handy too, if you just simply don't want to speak to an ex-boyfriend anymore, by pretending that you just got this new phone number and the person they were trying to reach probably changed theirs. You will find that having a voice changer on your phone will come in handy on many occasions, whether you are a woman or a man!
The Telephone Voice Changer is also small, it only measures 5"x 3"x 1/2" and you can take it with you if you are traveling. One thing to keep in mind is that this device will not work on wireless phones or phones that have dialing buttons on the handset.
- ► 2012 (170)
- ► 2011 (58)
- ► 2010 (59)
- ► 2009 (72)
- Lets Stop "Drive-Through" Mastectomies
- College Safety Essentials Package
- The Difference Between Privacy Laws in Europe Comp...
- My Ammonia Pistol Was Only the Beginning
- Apartment Safety Tips for Single Women
- Woman in W.Pa. baby mystery charged with homicide
- PRESS RELEASE: WomenOnGuard.com Donates Self Defen...
- More Bikes, Means More Safety Issues
- The Versatile Personal Alarm Also Helps the Handic...
- Jogger found dead just miles from home
- Guardian Angel vs. Conventional Pepper Spray
- Female NC soldier missing after fire
- Need Gas $?
- Leaving your house or apartment alone when on vaca...
- Safety tips for public transportation
- Feel safer answering the phone as a male if you ar...
- ▼ July (16)