Monday, June 23, 2008

When was the last time you took an after dinner stroll around your block in the evening?

It's always nice to go for a walk after a filling dinner to help you digest your food. During summer nights, it's even more enjoyable because there usually is a nice cool breeze and you can smell the flowers of your neighbors lawns and hear an occasional bark of a dog. It's one of those pleasurable things you can enjoy that is free and good for you.

My sister and her husband enjoy this time together and walk most evenings. I, on the other hand, don't. It's not because I'm lazy or too busy, it's because I feel that walking by myself or with a friend at night is unsafe. Unless I am part of a group, I really would rather stay at home. My brother in law is 6'2" tall and would be a deterrent if anyone decides to mug or rape my sister. Fortunately for men and especially tall men, the threat of an attack is less likely than if he were a woman. This is the unfortunate reality we have to live with in our society and in many societies around the world. Physical dominance is still practiced over the usually weaker female.

If you are one of those women that likes to take a stroll in the evening outdoors or wants to enjoy it, please make sure you carry a self defense product with you. Make it a habit to leave your keys next to your stun gun or better yet, have your keys attached to a pepper spray that has a keychain. Taking some kind of non-lethal product for self defense would help you feel more secure and more able to enjoy your walks.

No comments:

Blog Archive